The formation of Covia in June 2018 brought together two dynamic market leaders in minerals and material solutions, with complementary assets, values, and cultures. Covia’s culture includes an unwavering commitment to corporate responsibility and the creation of value for all our stakeholders, including our employees, our customers, our shareholders, and the communities where we live and operate. We invested in responsible practices with a laser-like focus on the well-being of people, communities, and the environment.
Clearly Covia defines who we are and how we conduct ourselves as a company. Our key values of Safety First; Be Different; Deliver on Promise; and, Do Good. Do Well. Act Responsibly. help to set the tone for every action and interaction. Our employees are empowered to own safety; challenge the status quo; be collaborative and accountable; exceed expectations; protect our planet; strengthen our communities; and, advance prosperity for all stakeholders. To learn more about Clearly Covia and how our employees put our values into action, please visit the Employer of Choice section of this report.
We are proud of our many accomplishments in 2018. Employees worked diligently to integrate into one company; to fulfill and exceed our commitments to customers and business partners; to share and adopt best practices; and, to reposition the business in response to changing market conditions. As an example of the progress we made in 2018, our Sustainable Development (SD) Teams achieved 96 percent completion on their 2018 goals.
We set ourselves apart through our people, assets, values, innovation, and commitment to Sustainable Development (SD). Our community engagement activities and SD Teams extend from Mexico to the United States and Canada. A few of our 2018 accomplishments include:
- Commercializing our DSTTM dust suppression technology, offering a solution to help our customers to comply with stricter OSHA respirable crystalline silica regulations
- Significantly improving our Truck Loadout Optimization initiative, assisting our customers and transportation partners in operating more efficiently
- Conducting our first company-wide Safety Day, focused on emergency response simulations
- Ensuring the planting of more than 81,000 trees, with employees planting nearly five percent of this total
- Engaging employees in various health and wellness and learning challenges
- Partnering with Ducks Unlimited to support wetlands conservation across North America
- Celebrating Wildlife Habitat Council (WHC) certification at 36 of our facilities and receiving two WHC awards
- Contributing approximately $1.6 million and more than 16,000 volunteer hours in our local communities
Looking ahead, our key priorities include completing Covia’s integration, targeting organic growth opportunities in both our Industrial and Energy segments, strengthening our cost position and ability to offer total solutions, and improving our financial position. To help us achieve these priorities and further our commitment to People, Planet, and Prosperity, we look forward to expanding active engagement in our SD Teams.
On behalf of Covia’s leadership team, we want to thank our employees, customers, shareholders, and various business partners for your outstanding contributions and ongoing collaboration and loyalty. We are Clearly Covia.
Richard A. Navarre, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer